History in Pictures
An aerial photo of the site that was to become the Ilam campus, 1940 (Ilam Rd north-south at centre, Riccarton Rd along the bottom. Note the only significant groups of trees, clustered around Ilam (to west of Ilam Rd) and Okeover (to east of Ilam Rd) Homesteads, and lining the Avon River, Okeover and Ilam Streams.
(MB 1105, Macmillan Brown Library Photograph Collection, University of Canterbury Facilities Management aerial photograph 1940).
1966 map of waterways at Ilam. The upper reach of the Okeover Stream was also known as Waiutuutu Stream (Trevor McLean).
Okeover Stream, 1969. "The art of the landscape designer. The Okeover Stream at Ilam makes a pleasing sight as it meanders through its new course between the School of Engineering and the Faculty of Science – a study by David Jones (Geology Department)." (Chronicle 4/5, Nov-Dec 1969, cover).
The mown banks of the Avon River, running past the Student Union building, in 1976 (Eric Pawson).
Opening ceremony for plantings at Avon River by USCA building in 1997.